Wednesday 14 November 2018

Bittersweet, not for the first time

I watched a film tonight, from one of my meagre collection of DVDs, the first time I've done that for, literally, years. It was a film I've seen several times - I couldn't say, exactly, how times, but it must be at least a dozen - but I hadn't watched it for at least five years. The film is quite elderly these days - it was released in 1984 - but I still find it compelling and relevant for me, with its elements of hypocrisy and society's expectations, the expectations that you transgress at your peril. It's a very beautiful film aesthetically, in my opinion, and there's an absolute cutie in the cast, too (Adrian Ross-Magenty, playing Wharton, albeit that the actor will be pushing 50 now in real life), but it's achingly sad for me, all the more because the world is just as unaccepting for people for in my situation, if not more so, that it was when it was produced. The film? Another Country.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment