Wednesday 22 January 2020

Nostalgia and sadness

Both of those things, and together, too, in more than one case today. It started with watching an old 'short' on TV, a film originally designed, I suspect, as a cinema filler before the 'main feature'. The film was about 1950s Cornwall, hence my interest, and it showed my last domicile before I left the area, but more pertinently, a shot of a village pretty close to where we first moved to the duchy, and a village I really liked - apart from the fact that I would've never been able to afford a house there. That led to me googling, stupidly, the village we did live in at the time, with the predictable result that I ended up feeling pretty miserable, given the fiasco that subsequently befell me (albeit self-inflicted, for the most part). As if that wasn't bad enough, the lunchtime news announced that Terry Jones had died. Monty Python was a big huge thing in my life, especially when I was a teenager, so losing another 'hero' is a thoroughly sad day. To ice a very dark cake, Sky News (when I was in the pub, I wouldn't piss on the Murdoch cabal and their operation if they were on fire normally) had a 'talking head' discussing Jones' life, a comedian and writer who happens to be the resident 'celeb' at a Wetherspoons I used pretty regularly, especially when my 'real local' closed down in 2016. And that led me into further in greyness, about Stanmore in general, but in particularly about Cammy, who I lost as a pal because of the pub's demise. As I've said before, life is shit, except when it's really shit.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment