Wednesday 12 July 2017

The beginning of the end, and another beginning

At least one thing, albeit as part of a predetermined plan, is definitely coming to an end, but events over recent days might add another ending, one I wouldn't have begun to envisage even a week ago. What is certain is that K and I will be moving out of the flat by the end of September - it was always the intention, but an exchange of e-mails with the estate agents in the past couple of days has made it official, and thereby far more concrete. K already has her flat in 'uni-town' organised, so now it's my turn to organise 'pastures new'. The second potential ending may have a huge bearing on where I go, however, because it involves my job. It's a somewhat convoluted story, but the short version is that the management have substantially moved the goalposts around rostering in connection with a very big project that's taking place next month, and it looks like I'm going to be one of a number of people who will be royally screwed over - to the tune of hundreds of pounds, minimum, in lost earnings - as a result. The aforementioned management have been conspicuous by their absence today, my first day back on a weekday daytime shift for nearly a fortnight, so my plan to go and bang the desk and try to get some answers has been delayed by at least 24 hours, but if I can't come to some agreement over the issue, I would very seriously consider simply pulling the plug and taking early retirement. It would certainly be a gamble financially, but I've lost so much over the past twenty years or so by being cheated out of promotions and blatantly lied to by my employers that this might well constitute the proverbial final straw.
And the other beginning? In all honesty, it will probably be another false dawn, but I've begun a new story, which could develop into something substantial. It began simply as a name, one I've never used for a character before, around which the plot, and the attributes of the character himself, began to coalesce. I want this one to work, because it's something at least a little different from much of what I've written in the past, but whether I can find the application to bring it to fruition very much remains to be seen.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    Hope you find a suitable place to settle, and that fairly well sucks about your job.

    And I hope K has a blast at uni...such an exiting time in a young person's life.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      The job issues went rather better than anticipated (see today's post), so, on my side, that just leaves the housing situation to resolve - there's an astronomical amount of rental property available in London, but, unfortunately, much of it is at astronomical prices, too. K has definitely enjoyed her time at uni so far, just having finished her first year, and I suspect that living fully independently for the first time from September will suit her even better - especially as the Bank of Dad will be footing most of the bills!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete