Monday 22 January 2018

Masochists' corner

Well, it's that time of the year. The time when all of us St Kilda 'tragics' ponder might befall in the new AFL season. From my perspective, 10000 and change miles away from the UK to my beloved team, the signs don't seem promising. As far as I can see, the pundits, and even many true believer red, black and white fans, consider us no-hopers. Not quite wooden spoon contenders, but not far from that point. But I'm not nearly so pessimistic as that. I don't, for a second, think that we're Premiership material, but I think that we could get as far as the finals. It's true that we haven't got any 'stars' (yet - I'm looking at you, Josh Battle, right from 2016 Draft day, and yes, that was a prediction!), but we have, potentially, a good team - and it's a team sport, ultimately. As long we don't get too many injuries, and especially that we're consistent, a problem over the past couple of years, why shouldn't we be good enough?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    I just read an article about Battle from the Saints' site...he looks like he could use a bit more meat on his bones, but that will come in time, if his older teammates are any indication!

    As you say, injuries, consistency and a strong reserve corps are key factors for any team sport.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      As I said, it's not realistic to expect the Saints to win 'the flag' in 2018, we're the third youngest squad of the 18 in the league, after all, but I still think we'll ruffle some feathers. And I'll stand by my prediction - Josh hadn't even finished school until last autumn, but I remember a certain 'skinny blond kid' around 17 years ago who became a legend, namely one N. Riewoldt. I don't think Josh will be quite as good as that, but a star? I reckon so. You heard it here!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete