Monday 27 June 2016

Sweet and sour, once more

I had a smidgen of quality time with K last night - we met up for drinks after I'd finished work, the company and conversation being much nicer than I probably deserve - before she heads off again at lunchtime today. The aftermath of the stupidity of the electorate was a major topic for discussion, of course, as the country continues to descend into chaos, with both main political parties seemingly on the verge of implosion and the currency still falling like a stone. And, most worryingly, stories of a massive increase in overt racism and xenophobia, as a substantial cadre of the 'white British' population appear to have taken the referendum result as carte blanche to do and say whatever they like. I can only hope that no-one is killed as a result, because the veneer of civilisation in the UK seems to be thin to the point of invisibility at the moment.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    Not being British myself, I find it a bit hard to empathise with your current upheaval...I suppose you might feel the same about the candidacy of our own Trump...lol!

    It is *good* when the youngsters are involved/engaged.

    Cheers!

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      There seem to me to be definite parallels between the toxic nationalism and demagoguery employed by the 'Brexit' campaign, and the tactics Trump has used to position himself as the Republican frontrunner and probable presidential candidate. Quite frankly, I find the prospect of Trump as the most powerful person in the world terrifying, given his combination of megalomania and the thinnest of skins. All I can do is hope that the electorate in your country has more sense than the 'sheeple' over here.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete