Saturday 29 April 2017

Early birthday presents

My birthday isn't until tomorrow, but I've already had what you might call a couple of early pressies. The best has come this morning, in the shape of my Saints pulling off a stunning victory, on 'enemy territory', to boot, against one of the best AFL teams of recent years, albeit a team who have struggled so far this season. To say I'm stoked, as the Australian vernacular has it, is a considerable understatement.
Yesterday evening's 'gifts', however, were a little more ambiguous, but, on balance, more welcome than not - another couple of delightful 'ghosts'. The first, who was probably just about legal, sat opposite me for several stations on my middle train of three en route to work, but even he was eclipsed by a simply beautiful boy - decidedly not legal, probably 11/12 - at the station where I changed for the last leg of my journey. As always, there's more than a hint of bittersweetness about such encounters, so much beauty and desirability, from my perspective, so close but always out of reach, but I still think my life would be the poorer without them.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sammy

    Just a quick note to wish you all the very best for your birthday. I know neither of us are likely to lucky enough to receive our most treasured present on our respective birthdays, (I've got another birthday coming up in a couple of weeks myself), but hopefully there might just be some sweet candy out there to feast our eyes upon as we gaze longingly from afar.

    Happy birthday, my friend.

    Warmest regards - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave
      Thank you for the good wishes. As you say, the chances of getting the present I want the most are infinitesimal to zero, but I will get to see K tomorrow - she's coming up to town, and being out and about with her on a bank holiday might well offer a few eye candy opportunities. One can but hope!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. A belated Happy Birthday, Sammy!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      Thanks very much. My 'social birthday' has been today, in any case, because I didn't finish my week of night shifts until this morning.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete