Sunday 23 April 2017

Family stuff

I've been down to darkest rural East Kent today, for the christening of my grand-niece, my nephew's daughter. I have to say that I'm 110% against infant baptism, not because I'm an atheist, but because I consider it against the child's human rights - I don't think anyone should be 'claimed' for a religion, as the form of words of today's service had it, until they're old enough to make the decision for themselves. Despite my distaste for the process, though, I went because it was one of those rare opportunities to catch up with a goodly number of family and friends all at once, not least K, who made a special trip up from 'uni-town' to be there. The christening wasn't the only family thing of the day, either - my niece and her fiancé have named their wedding day, so there will be a trip to East Anglia, all being well, for that event around this time next year. I'm not, on the whole, all that clannish, but it is nice, sometimes, to acknowledge that certain people in my life are more significant than others.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I know it took a long time for me to be deprogrammed from my Catholic upbringing!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      As I've said on a number of occasions, I have nothing against people believing whatever they like on a personal basis, but organised religion is something I hold in the utmost contempt. That said, the chance to see family and friends was nonetheless welcome.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete