Saturday 21 May 2016

Ache and heartache

This time three years ago, I was languishing in a hospital ward in Surrey having comprehensively lost a battle with whichever bugs cause pneumonia. That potentially life-threatening experience certainly raised my awareness as regards my health, but whether it's tipped the balance too far in the opposite direction, towards hypochondria, is something I haven't resolved yet. Today has provided a good example, as I've spent a good deal of time worrying about an ache - it certainly hasn't been serious enough to warrant using the word 'pain' - in my chest, of a pulmonary rather than cardiac nature. The fact that it's on the right hand side, where the bugs did most of their damage, does make me wonder if there's a connection, but, on the other hand, I don't feel ill as such, suggesting that I might be tending towards melodrama. All I can do, I guess, is to carry on as normal while 'monitoring' my condition, and head to the doctor's if there's any evidence of a deterioration.
No doubt, though, about the heartache - as I arrived at 'worktown' station after the end of my shift this evening, I almost literally fell over an exquisitely beautiful boy of 8 or 9, another unattainable 'ghost'. There was another level of piquancy in this case, though, because of his more than passing resemblance to a picture I saw a few days ago of another, slightly older boy, in a decidedly less salubrious place. Life imitating life, or something like that.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment