Sunday 15 January 2017

Coming of age

I hate 'coming of age' records. Planet Rock has just played Photograph by Nickelback, a prime example of the sort of song that, for me, dredges up all the pain. the 'otherness' I felt through my teenage years, and beyond. A mostly gay boy, trapped in an unremittingly homophobic (even if the word wasn't used in those far-off days) milieu, including, in my case, an all-boys school, who then discovered he wasn't even 'normally gay', but was entranced by younger boys. And now, forty years on, I'm still trapped by my sexuality, and society's attitudes towards it. As I've said before, a life sentence without the possibility of parole. No escape except death. What was it the world said about 'choices', again?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sammy

    Choices ? What choices ?

    Someone recently tried to tell me I had "chosen" to be the way I am. This comment from someone I've known for years made me so angry that I just blurted out - "So when did YOU decide to be hetrosexual ? "

    We don't talk much now . . .

    Warmest regards - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave
      Exactly the point I was trying to make. Virtually nothing is more galling than someone assuming that we woke up one bright morning and 'chose' to be boylovers. Anyone who consciously made such a choice would be insane, to my mind, all the more so in today's pathologically hateful atmosphere. No easy answers, as ever, but letting the haters 'win' isn't anywhere on my agenda.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete