Wednesday 1 February 2017

Seasiding, and yet another musical hero gone

It was off to the coast yesterday, to meet up with K in 'uni-town' for what turned out to be a decidedly long Wetherspoons lunch - we sat and talked around the food and, for me, drink - my girl sensibly stuck to water - for something like four hours. I guess we defy the stereotype of parents and teens not being able to communicate pretty well!
A different kind of communication from K, a text she sent me on my way back to London, alerted me to the all too familiar news of the passing of another of my favourite musicians, John Wetton. The three piece line-up of King Crimson that he formed part of, alongside Robert Fripp and Bill Bruford, is, as far as I'm concerned, the best incarnation of the band, and certainly the one I would most liked to have seen live, much as I enjoyed the two gigs I did see in Autumn 2015. And Red, the last Crimson studio album Wetton performed on, is my favourite by the band by some distance. Another sad loss.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Sad news, indeed.

    Also, Butch Trucks, of the original Allman Brothers Band, recently committed suicide.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      It certainly seems that this year is going to looking to try to emulate its predecessor in terms of musicians leaving us. I guess they are all much of the same generation, and getting towards, if not actually reaching average life expectation, so maybe it shouldn't be too much of a surprise, but nonetheless sad for all that.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete