Tuesday 1 August 2017

End of an era

An overused cliché, I guess, but sometimes employed more justifiably than others. I've alluded a number of times to my passionate attachment to a particular sports club, of which I'm not just a fan, but a member, namely the St Kilda Football Club. And I was met, when I got home last night, with the news that a bona fide legend of the club had announced his retirement at the end of the current season. Nick Riewoldt has been a Sainter for the whole of this century, being no. 1 draft pick in 2000 and making his debut in 2001, becoming an integral part of the team almost straight away. He's subsequently become our longest serving captain and done pretty much everything doable in the sport - except winning a premiership, of course. We could, theoretically, set that omission right this year, albeit that it's a very, very long shot at this point, but either way, the almost unimaginable prospect of the Saints without 'Rooey' will become an actuality in 2018. Apologies to the no doubt great majority of my readers who haven't the slightest knowledge of or interest in Australian Rules Football, but for any of you who do, you'll understand what a big deal this is, especially for a St Kilda tragic like me.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. After seeing a bit of Aussie Rules football, I would say 16 years should be quite enough for any body to endure.

    And quite the handsome chap Nick is.

    :-)

    -Andy

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      It certainly isn't a sport for the faint-hearted! Yeah, all those years, and 333 games (so far, hopefully a handful more to come) definitely qualify Nick for a well-deserved retirement. And not difficult to look at, as you say, if substantially too old for my tastes!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete