Sunday 17 July 2016

A 'You know when you're old moment', and cuties

Or maybe the moment is better characterised as a 'You know when your offspring has grown up' scenario. As I walked into our local town centre at 5:00 this morning, on my way to work, K and the friend she went on holiday with were heading up the hill to crash out in the wake of a birthday bash they went to last night. My girl was looking a little the worse for wear (which she told me this afternoon was down to the fact that she'd been asleep on the night bus), but at least she hadn't got herself into the sort of state that landed her in hospital last winter. Whatever, meeting in the street in those circumstances is definitely indicative of a 'changing of the generations' - I can't remember the last time I was out, socially, until dawn!
Although I was working this morning, I had been off for the previous couple of days, and the weekend has been notable for a veritable cavalcade of cuties. Boy of the weekend was a rather loud, to the point of being obnoxious, 12-ish fair-haired guy on Friday - obnoxious, maybe, but oh wow, was he cute! Interestingly, though, the most head-turning individuals of both yesterday and today have been girls, quite similar, in a number of ways, blonde, pubescent, or thereabouts, unmistakably female but with a distinct boyish tenor to their shape and form. It made me think, not for the first time, of one of my cousins, the first girl, with hindsight, that I ever fell in love with. She was very much along the same lines, no mistaking that she was a girl, but there was a lot of boyishness in her too, both in terms of looks and personality. Would my life have been different if she hadn't emigrated to Australia with her family when we were both 11? Who can say, but it certainly makes for an interesting 'what if?'.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment