Saturday 18 March 2017

Tonight I'm gonna party like....

....well, not​ like anything, actually, because I've got to get up at 4:00 in the morning to go to work. But this is post number 1999 in this blog, so I couldn't resist the allusion.
I discovered​, or maybe better, rediscovered, something about my much earlier life last night. I was idly meandering through various linked items on Wikipedia about John Wyndham and his works, when I came across a reference to a radio serialisation of what became one of my favourite books of all time, The Chrysalids. I knew it was broadcast in the school summer holidays, because I'd managed to listen to it all despite it being on during the day, but I'd believed for many years that the school holidays concerned were those between my last year at primary school and my first at grammar school, i.e. when I was 11. It turned out, though, that the broadcasts were actually a year earlier, in August 1970. A trivial point, it could be said, except that there's another life event which will always be inextricably linked in my mind to my first experience of Wyndham's work - my first crush, and first - conscious, at least - heartbreak. The object of my nascent affections was my cousin - female, but very tomboyish, and almost exactly the same age as me, to within a few weeks - who stayed with us for several weeks that summer, prior to her family emigrating to Australia. I obviously knew she was leaving, but I didn't, of course, know that I would end up being so smitten by her. I haven't seen her since, although I did hear​ that she ended up as a P.E. teacher, which was no surprise at all, given her personality and interests as a girl. My first love, I guess you could say. I hope life has treated her more kindly than it has me.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment