Friday 2 April 2010

From one extreme to the other

Well, it looks like yesterday morning's sunshine was the weather gods' April Fools' joke, because by mid-afternoon it was pouring with rain and even sleeting a bit, and the wet and windy stuff is back with us this morning. After feeling upbeat at first yesterday, it all rather deteriorated as the day went on, to the extent that by the time I got back from work last night I was moved to comment to my daughter that it was one of those days when you feel like cutting your own head off.
I think I might sometimes be expecting too much from life and from other people, but, compared with the impression I get of the young writers of the blogs that I follow, and from my daughter and her friends, namely that they're intelligent, articulate and caring people, I fail to understand why a lot (in my experience) of current teenagers seem to have no ambition beyond getting pissed, causing trouble and firing off volleys of offensive verbal abuse, if not actual violence, at anyone who gets in their way. This seems to be particularly prevalent where I work, a small, superficially quiet and slightly touristy town where you'd expect nothing untoward to happen from one week's end to the next. I make no claim to having been an angel when I was younger - I drank more than my fair share of beer and got into various scrapes from time to time - but I don't recall me or any of my peers having the attitude that a lot of these yobs seem to have of having not the least respect for anything or anyone, even themselves as far as I can see. Some might say, no doubt, that I'm just being a typical old fart complaining that ' It wasn't like this when I was a lad ', but I don't see how a purportedly civilised society can function when large sections of it don't seem to care about anyone but themselves - I stand to be corrected, but I get the feeling that the present-day U.K. is one of the most selfish places in the world, and there are times when I want nothing more than to leave the country, and probably would if I didn't have my family commitments.
Looking on the brighter side, however, I'm just embarking on 5 days off over the holiday weekend, with my wife and daughter off work and school respectively for most of the time, so I think it's time to kick back and have some fun time together, something that doesn't happen often enough lately. And to hell with the weather gods!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment