Tuesday 6 April 2010

London trip

It was, as anticipated, a long and pretty tiring, but interesting day yesterday. My daughter and I left the house at 6:20 to catch the train, arriving in London at 10:00. Having planned in advance what we wanted to do and how to get there helped speed things along, and we arrived at Bankside by 10:45, where we visitied the Globe Theatre, which my daughter wanted to do, having spent some time studying Shakespeare at school, followed by my half of the deal, visiting the Van Doesburg exhibition at Tate Modern. As luck would have it, I found the theatre tour quite interesting, even though I've never been a Shakespeare buff, while my daughter found at least some of the modern art we looked at to her liking. The best part for me was actually seeing some works by my favourite artist, Piet Mondrian, in the flesh, as it were - I've seen most of Mondrian's works in books, TV programmes or online, but, until yesterday, I'd never seen any in real life. In the afternoon, we went on to Covent Garden, where there was some street entertainment, amongst other things, going on, and finally (just to prove that my daughter isn't simply some bluestocking swot) to Hamley's, which was absolutely packed - you'd have thought it was Christmas week, given the crowds in there!
After some food and drink at Paddington station, it was time for the train home, and, hardly surprisingly, neither of us saw the whole journey back - my daughter, in particular, spent quite a lot of the time asleep - before we finally retrieved our car from the station and got home just before 9:00.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment