Sunday 4 April 2010

Writer's block!

I'm sitting in front of the computer feeling that I want to write something, but my mind is about as blank as the screen was before I began this sentence. Calling my situation 'writer's block' is rather pretentious, I suppose, because that implies that I consider myself a writer, at least in an amateur way.
I'm listening to the radio while I'm typing - Planet Rock, specifically, as that's the station I almost always listen to - and a song with good memories attached has just come on, even though it's a song, and indeed a band, that I don't like myself. The song was ' Whip It ' by Devo, a fairly obscure item, to be sure, but one which several of my friends from home were keen on, and which was played at most of the wedding receptions of our group of friends (and on numerous other party-ish occasions), except mine. There were a few other songs that were synonymous with our little coterie ( ' Holiday in Cambodia ' by the Dead Kennedys was probably No. 1 on that list), and when I hear them, they always remind me of some really good times (and some sad ones, but very few in comparison). It's funny how music can not only set a mood, but recreate moods from years and years ago - very Proustian, I guess.
An early night is in order today, because my daughter and I are getting up at some ludicrously early hour to head for London for the day tomorrow. Living in Cornwall is great, for the most part, but, at least by U.K. standards, it has the drawback of being a very long way from pretty much everywhere else. Still, no pain, no gain, to coin yet another cliché.

Hope everyone has had/is having a Happy Easter.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment