Wednesday 28 April 2010

Psycho-cardiology

Contrary to my expectations, I didn't have to wait for ever and a day for a cardiologist's appointment at our local general hospital - they seem to have had a cancellation, and I was slotted in yesterday morning. As I've said before, I tend very much towards the pessimistic side when it comes to anything to do with doctors and, especially, hospitals, but yesterday's experience was surprisingly positive. I saw a different consultant from my previous appointment, and he proved to be very straightforward and easy to deal with - I'd give him at least 9/10 for his bedside manner, so to speak - and what he had to say was much more encouraging than I'd expected. In a nutshell, my underlying condition hasn't deteriorated, and the medication I'm on is appropriate, so the only thing that has changed materially is my stress level - the prescription is, in essence, ' Chill out! '. To that end, I've been given another 3 week sickness certificate, then I'm on 2 weeks' pre-arranged annual leave, and, unless anything unforeseen happens, I should be heading back to work after that. I'm going to do my best to make the next few weeks as relaxed as possible, at least psychologically, with a view to beginning a virtuous circle - feeling calmer should help the arrhythmia, which in turn removes another layer of the stress, and so on.
I'm very flattered that Anton of ' Anton's Haus' has been kind enough to become my second follower. I hope that I'll be able to repay the interest by making my blog worth reading.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    Thanks for the update, and congratulations on the good medical news. Best of luck in engaging the "virtuous circle" effect! Springtime in Cornwall should be helpful, I think.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete