Sunday 19 July 2015

Virtue?

I don't quite know how this post is going to come out - I've been thinking about it for more than 24 hours, and I've struggled to find not only the right words, but the right tone.
It began in my thinking about an online story I've been re-reading, albeit on a different site from its first incarnation. It's a man-boy story, set in England, slightly unusually, but it's a story I found rather frustrating first time around, and this second experience of it hasn't changed my feelings about it at all, really. The author, a number of whose stories I've read and enjoyed, seems to have resorted in this case to some implausible and tortuous plot twists to prevent his main characters from 'consummating' their loving relationship. To what end? That was the question I've asked myself several times, and, after giving it considerable thought, and standing to be corrected if I'm wrong, it seems to me that the author's principal aim was to establish his own 'VirPed' credentials.
I came across the 'Virtuous Pedophiles' site a year, maybe 18 months ago. Any site whose goals include trying to provide some kind of support to boy and girl lovers is certainly worthy of examination, but I'm not convinced by the VirPed manifesto, I'm afraid. By the letter of the law, they say the 'right' things, the things that 'society' would want them to say - absolutely no sexual contact with anyone underage, in any circumstances, albeit while trying to encourage that society to accept that not all those attracted to younger people are necessarily slavering rapists, or rapists in waiting, that, in fact, that some 'pedophiles' abide by the law and pose no threat to anyone, of any age. Well, good luck to them on that front, especially being based in the US, as they are (hence my using the American spelling of my least favourite word in this post) - they're fighting against mountains of negative publicity, and a world that simply doesn't want to listen to any voice that doesn't cast the 'paedo' as the blackest embodiment of absolute evil. I couldn't possibly, in any way that would be true to myself, ever make an absolute promise of eternal celibacy. All I can do is to try and continue to do what I've done for decades, and not to do anything that would hurt anyone in any way, and not to do anything without not only consent, but informed consent, where any potential partner not only agrees to any activity, but understands, in so far as I'm able to judge, what they're agreeing to. Does that make me virtuous? Almost certainly not, but it's the best I can do.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment