Thursday 3 April 2014

Circular bureaucracy

Amongst the other things I had to do in connection with moving into the flat, I had to advise the various utility providers that I'd taken over the tenancy, and, of course, responsibility for the relevant bills. In the way of such things these days, much of what might have been paperwork a few years back has been done online, and it all seemed to have gone well enough. Except, apparently, for my water provider. I filled in their online form, submitted it, received two e-mails back, a copy of the form, and a standard 'letter' saying that a 'customer advisor' would contact me within five working days. That was two and a half weeks ago, so I e-mailed them again yesterday to try and find out what was going on. My reply was, surprise, surprise, another copy of the same standard e-mail saying a customer advisor would contact me within five working days. Looks like I'm trapped in a bureaucratic tunnel with no beginning and no end!
I came back from work by way of another public transport permutation this morning, to take in a shopping trip to my local-ish supermarket en route, and was confronted by a bit of a 'blast from the past', or, at least, a reminder of someone I'd almost forgotten. I was passing a school on the bus route between the station and the supermarket where some boys were engaged in a pre-lessons football kickabout. One of them, maybe 13 or so, was not just stunning in his own right - long blond hair, good looking, athletic - but, I realised after a second or two, very reminiscent of the gorgeous boy who lived in the house behind us in Cornwall (the one with the controversial bedroom window, if anyone remembers a few exchanges with self-appointed moral guardians, who accused me of being a peeping tom, as though I could peep into a window fifteen feet higher than the back of our house). More bittersweetness, really - a reminder of a person I'd have given my eye teeth to have known better, a reminder of home (Cornwall is still home, as far as I'm concerned, though whether I'll ever live there again is, to say the least, doubtful), a reminder of what I want and can never have. All a bit much to cope with when you're already overtired at the end of a very long night. I didn't exactly go to bed feeling lighthearted this morning.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the water people. I guess as long as the stuff flows from the tap, it's all good.

    As to the latter...yeah, eye candy is good, don't get too caught up in the past, though an occasional reminiscent moment is always nice!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Knowing how bureaucracies can (fail to) work, I want to avoid having my water cut off for not paying a bill I haven't been sent! Luck is what I need to navigate such a maze, I think.
      My heaviness of heart this time yesterday was as much to do with losing Cornwall, as it were, than with the lack of a boy in my life, but the two elements together are a pretty potent downer. But not something that can't be overcome, with the right mindset.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete