Friday 25 April 2014

The perils of digital media

Those zeroes and ones, they're so dangerous. When your life can be destroyed by having those binary digits decoded, why would anyone commit anything in the slightest controversial, still less illegal, to silicon? Particularly to a USB stick, which can then be stolen remarkably easily. (The thief will now, doubtless, be feted as a heroine.) What an inane way to lose everything, up to and including your very existence. Days like this, I feel like deleting my blog, my e-mail accounts, everything that I've ever done in cyberspace. But it would, of course, make no difference, because all of those words will still be retained somewhere - the internet never forgets. As Orwell wrote, 'nothing (is) your own except the few cubic centimetres inside your skull'. His powers of prophecy never cease to amaze me.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. You are pretty much correct. Erasing anything that's out on the Internet is for all practicality impossible. Even pictures that are deleted within seconds remain somewhere. Ugh.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Hence why, even after four years and more, I still fight shy of stepping out from behind the 'Sammy' mask. And why, as per the previous post, I'm still rather paranoiac about what I actually publish. The powers-that-be, no doubt, could find me easily enough if they chose to, but that doesn't mean I have to make it even easier for them.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. I understand completely. Thankfully we aren't quite to the point of "thought police".

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete