Monday 20 September 2010

Autumnal

I know it's still officially summer for another day or two, but there's a distinct tinge of autumn in the air today. It's quite bright and sunny, but it's substantially cooler outside than it appears from the comfort of the great indoors. Winter has never been my favourite time of year, so this little reminder that it's on its way is less than welcome. Perhaps it's a sign of impending old age that the prospect of months of dark evenings and indifferent weather makes my heart sink - a reminder of my own mortality, maybe, given that I'm more or less two-thirds of the way to the average life expectancy for a man in this country. It's a bit bizarre, really, thinking of being in the latter half of my life, because, psychologically, I still feel quite young. I've retained a good deal of intellectual curiosity, I'm still pretty good at learning new things, I'm an inveterate game player - I've even still got a streak of almost juvenile irresponsibility, although I do manage to keep it under control most of the time. Knowing there will come a time, though, where everything that I am, everything I've done and all my memories of those events will be extinguished forever is a disconcerting prospect. It's the same for us all, of course, but the 'so much to do, so little time' dichotomy is one from which there's no chance of escape. I guess the answer is to make the most of the time you've got, and to try to make a positive contribution in some way, even if it's only in looking after your family in the best way you can.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment