Monday 13 September 2010

Five to go

I now know that I've only got 5 more shifts to work in my present job until I can make my escape. I spoke to the roster clerk this morning and she was able to confirm I've got my two days leave at the end of next week. That leaves an early shift tomorrow, my last two late shifts on Wednesday and Thursday, then two more early shifts next Wednesday and Thursday after my long weekend, and that will be that. Four years and eight months, almost to the day, since I first arrived on what was originally supposed to be a three month temporary transfer on domestic grounds. Funny how these things tend to mushroom!
One of the arguably beneficial side effects of my recent illness has been a substantial loss of appetite. This evening's main meal was the first proper sit-down, cooked meal (home-made paella, for the record) I've had for almost a fortnight, after subsisting in the interim on the likes of sandwiches and bowls of cereal, if that. I've no real idea if I've lost any weight, but I guess that I probably have, even if it is a bit of a 'drop in the ocean' syndrome. Contrary to what people might think if they met me, I don't eat a particularly unhealthy diet anyway - I eat relatively little fried food, reasonable amounts of salad and vegetables (although I'll admit to being very poor on the fruit consumption front) and I certainly don't have a sweet tooth. My main weakness is drinking too much beer and Chardonnay - at least if you've got to die of something, it may as well be something enjoyable!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment