Tuesday 28 September 2010

The new chapter

Well, here I am sitting at Newlands Corner on the North Downs enjoying the view by way of helping to fill in time between shifts in my new job. The job itself is fine, I've set about some serious training already, the new work colleagues (at least those I've met so far) and the working environment are fine, but, there is, needless to say, the elephant in the room - the 16 hours a day on my own during which I need to occupy myself. The laptop helps, but the battery doesn't hold a vast amount of charge, so the most I can manage online is 90 minutes or so before I have to find a way of charging it up again - mostly with the in-car adapter so far.
I know 2 days is probably a bit premature to make a judgment, but I've got a feeling that this move is going to be quite tough for me on a personal level - all in all, I'd much rather be at home. It would probably be an exaggeration to say that I was homesick, but initial impressions seem to be that it's worse this time around than on my previous move 'up country' in 2002. It's probably not helping that the accommodation situation doesn't seem to want to come together at the moment - I can't find anywhere affordable that wouldn't mean commuting ridiculous distances, the cost of which would more than counterbalance the savings made on the accommodation. I'll keep looking out, though, and hope for the best.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment