Saturday 2 May 2015

Town, and country

The last day of my birthday week break has followed the pattern of its predecessors, so far, at least. I went into town this morning, without a particular aim in mind, but did end up at an 'event', of sorts, the 'Streets of Spain' food festival on the South Bank. I went last year, and wasn't overly impressed, and this year's version was little different, sadly - the food and drink on offer was stereotypical, and seriously overpriced. £6 for a small glass of rioja, anyone? There was, though, more than a little eye candy on view, most notably a mind-meltingly beautiful little fair-haired guy (his slightly older brother probably would've been cutie of the day in his own right, too, had he not been comprehensively eclipsed by his sibling). It was very much the double-edged sword again, though - yes, the cuties are lovely to see, but my reactions to them don't do overly much for my self-esteem.
But then, indirectly, the ultimate of all cuties sprang to mind, yet again - I read a blog post about the controversy surrounding a forthcoming school trip, from which several families had withdrawn their children, because it's an RE trip which will include a visit to a mosque. And the school? The Cornish primary that includes DBJ amongst its alumni. The school he attended when I fell helplessly in love with him. If I could pick a day as my 'groundhog day', it would be the sunny day in that summer when he was 11, walking past my old workplace and over the bridge in his translucent tennis shirt, the afternoon sun silhouetting his perfection. I don't think I've ever seen anything so beautiful, before or since.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. So the way to teach how others think is to avoid them?! Of course it is! We do it, too.

    Glad you've had a candified week!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Definitely an 'ostrich' reaction from some parents, and, no doubt, a good way of ensuring irrational fear and prejudice are inculcated into the next generation.
      Itr's been a pretty good week - in fact, a pretty good month - for eye candy. Back to reality today, though - I'm working this afternoon. At least I've only got five lates to do before I get another day off, though, rather than a dozen!.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete