Wednesday 28 October 2015

Friendly fire?

Over the past couple of days, I've been on the same shift as my relatively new, openly gay colleague - he's now finished the 'classroom' part of his training, and is into the 'on the job' familiarisation. He hasn't been the focus of as much hostility as I thought he might face, and I think part of that, at least, is because he's unashamed, quite rightly, of his sexuality, and more than ready to turn any snide remarks back on their authors. There was some 'banter' this afternoon about a supposedly 'boyish' female celebrity, and someone asked the gay guy 'would you?', or words to that effect. His reply, without a missed beat, was 'Why not just have a boy?'. Damn bloody right, I thought, and I wasn't far from saying so, although I'm sure his idea of a 'boy' is on the opposite side of the line of legality from mine. It's not the first time I've come close to outing myself by openly agreeing with something he's said, and it would be ironic indeed if I did just that in response to a comment from an 'ally' rather than an adversary.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment