Wednesday 24 February 2016

When I'm what age?!

I've been to the doctor's this afternoon, for yet another 'follow-up' appointment, meds again as well as feedback from the liver-related blood test I had the other week. My meds were tweaked again, but then (finally, alleluia!!) signed off for six months. The results of the blood test prompted the title of this post, though - the doctor said that they backed up the test I'd had before Christmas, but that there was no sign of anything serious, or of immediate concern. Then came the 'punchline' - 'but I'd be concerned at what state your liver would be in when you're 70.' 70!! I haven't the slightest expectation, and almost as little ambition, of being around at that age, and told the doctor so pretty unequivocally. 'If you could cut down on your drinking, your liver would thank you for it', he said as parting advice. So what else could I do in the circumstances but head straight to the pub?!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. While I've never been a big drinker, I do still enjoy the odd beer from time to time. I always drink at home, I just don't feel comfortable in pubs anymore. My doctor put me on tablets for blood pressure some years ago, and more recently colestrol issues. But every time I take the damn things I always wonder "what's the point?" Seems to me like I'm only prolonging an already pointless and loveless existence. If push ever came to shove, there's one consolation: I have enough blood pressure tablets that I've forgotten to take to ensure I could go to bed and probably never wake up. Cowards way out? Maybe, but there seems little prospect of my ever finding what I need most in life. Death, hopefully, will bring bring me the inner peace I've never found in life.

    Warmest regards - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave
      Most of what you've said applies equally to me. I have got my daughter, of course, and that's more than important, but once she goes her own way, there's precious little else. There's a thoroughly lovely boy sitting not ten feet away from me right now, in my local, but all his presence achieves is to underline the pointlessness of it all. And yes, I've got pills, prescribed for my heart arrhythmia, that could permanently put me to sleep in very short order, if I chose to take an overdose of them. Who knows when that 'tipping point' might arrive?

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's just it. I suppose we'll only know, when that time arrives. I think the thing that keeps me motivated at the moment is my mum who, despite her still wanting to be independant, relies on me more and more these days, to help her. I know she probably has a few more years left, but I daren't think beyond her inevitable passing. When she's gone I really can't see any point in being here at all.

      To quote a paranoid android:

      "Life? - Don't talk to me about life.

      Warmest regards - Dave

      Delete