Friday 21 October 2016

Wouldn't it be better?

A document, apparently a guidance briefing for managers in our company, appeared at work this morning. It probably wasn't meant for the eyes of us 'foot soldiers', but someone had evidently found it on our 'intranet' and printed it out. The guidance was on how to cope with issues raised by transgender employees. Needless to say, it was raw meat for the fuckwits, especially the 'archbigot', who made no effort to disguise his scorn at the idea that the company should even have thought of producing such guidance, still less implement it. Much later in the shift, our one openly gay guy, who has now completed his training and has become a member of my regular 'gang', the colleagues I work with most of the time, glanced at it and said 'wouldn't it just be better to treat everyone the same?'. 'Would that it was as simple as that' was my immediate reaction - of course it would be better if everyone was grown up enough to follow a 'people are people' mantra, but I'm sure he would know from extensive personal experience that many, if not most of those in our industry are distant strangers to tolerance and equality. And that's towards someone like him, who's a fairly 'moderate' example of an alternative lifestyle, with a long-term partner and a mortgage. I know, from the cesspit of bigotry I wallow in on almost a daily basis, that any trans person who was unfortunate enough to end up working with most of the people I work with would have their lives made a misery. As, of course, would I, if I was careless enough to be 'outed'.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment