Tuesday 28 December 2010

All good things must come to an end

Or so the saying goes. As far as my keeping up with the adage is concerned, it's the last day of my first substantial Christmas break since 1986. Even though the time off I've had had been marred, to a degree, by illness - I'm still some way from being 100% well, even after nearly three weeks - it's been nice to be at home with my family, and, as a side benefit, evade a lot of the bad weather the UK has been subjected to recently. You hear about people who have serious problems adapting to retirement, but I know for sure I wouldn't fit into that category. For most, if not all, of my adult life, my main difficulty has been the fact that there never seem to be enough hours in the day, and certainly never problems in finding ways to occupy my time. Some of my interests would doubtless strike some people as being a waste of time, but others' perceptions are not my problem, the main issue, as far as I'm concerned, is that I'm virtually never bored. That really would strike me as being a waste of my valuable time.
Today's programme of non-boredom has included going out for lunch with my wife and daughter, as a treat for us all to end the holiday season (my wife will be going back to work tomorrow as well). It wasn't anything especially elaborate, just a trip to a pub-restaurant in our neighbouring town, but the food there is usually pretty good, and today was no exception. The only downside was that they were rather busy, which meant that the service was a bit on the slow side, but we didn't have any other plans for this afternoon, so there was no rush as far as we were concerned. It gave me time to have a leisurely couple of beers, anyway!
I've had what is, so far, a rather inchoate idea for a new story for 'Cuckoos' swirling around in my head this morning, a sort of counterfactual, 'what if society was like this instead' scenario. I haven't even come up with an initial approach yet, as there are a number of ways, some lighter, some darker, that the story could develop. I think this could be an idea which will need some careful development and work, rather than relying on my usual style of getting my stories typed and published as quickly as possible, before I lose whatever little inspiration has prompted me to write in the first place. The '99% perspiration' method hasn't been my thing with my writing, probably because I'm basically a pretty lazy so-and-so, but this story, if I can get it off the ground, might be the one which would benefit from such a treatment.

Many thanks to Grant (the immigayrant) for becoming my latest follower. I hope you won't be disappointed!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment