Friday 3 December 2010

B & B (without the second B)

I started back at work today, after almost 2 weeks off, travelling up early this morning through some very frigid temperatures, although, thankfully, no snow. I mentioned my dislike of snow and ice recently, but that's nothing compared to my outright hatred of driving in such conditions. It all goes back to a big accident I had many years ago after skidding on black ice, an accident that could easily, given a little less luck, have had far more serious consequences. In the event, only the car was written off, but, ever since, I get very jittery when I'm forced to take to the roads in wintry conditions.
Given the prospect of a continuation of the weather that's seemingly thrown the country into panic and chaos - whatever else we Brits can do, we don't, on the whole, seem to deal with winter at all well - I looked around a couple of days ago to see if I could find some suitable accommodation for my first working weekend since I started my new job. I've ended up in a (relatively) cheap B & B about 40 minutes drive from work, not too far from Heathrow Airport - not, on early evidence, right under the flightpath, which is something of a relief. The main attraction of these places is often the breakfast, but I'm not going to find out on this occasion, because I'll be leaving for work at around 6:00 both tomorrow and Sunday, and even if they served breakfast at that sort of time, I wouldn't be in the market to eat it. My digestion usually needs an hour or two after I've got up before it can tolerate anything much in the way of food. At least I'll get an extra hour's sleep each morning than I would've done if I was staying at my brother's, which doubtless would've been my destination had the weather permitted.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. You guys are really being hit over there! We have a prediction of light snow for Saturday night, but around here, it's a crap shoot.

    Good luck getting to and from - 40 minutes is a hell of a commute to me, mine is only 20 minutes each way (and I work under the flight path, the runway is 1200 feet thataway). The planes are so low going over our building that you can count the rivets!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    40 minutes is a lot less commuting than most of what I've been doing for the last couple of months since I started my new job, so it feels quite a treat to me. We got a bit lucky with the weather overnight - it was first of all forecast to snow heavily, later amended to heavy rain which would then freeze. We had the rain, but not the freeze - just as well, because the roads would've been like a skating rink this morning. At least I'm partly steering clear of the British weather stereotype - I'm pleased with the turn of events, rather than bemoaning the doings of the weather gods!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete