Saturday 11 December 2010

A real life boy (nearly), a boy and not a boy

It was my daughter's end of term performance at her stage school this afternoon, and for the first time, they'd produced a pantomime, Singarella (no prizes awarded for guessing what it was based on!). For the first time since the equivalent Saturday last year, I was actually able to go, work having kept me away from the two previous performances. My daughter had asked the boy who she'd gone into town with a few weekends ago if he wanted to come and watch, and he'd said that he did, but wasn't sure if he'd be able to. We still hadn't heard by this morning, but when my daughter rang him just after midday, he said he would come, but needed his dad to come back from some outing to confirm the details. When the phone rang again about half an hour later, my daughter rushed to answer it, but it was immediately apparent from her disappointed tone of voice that it was bad news - he'd been told he had to go on a family visit instead, seemingly. I have to say that I was almost as disappointed as my daughter - the boy would've been sitting in the audience with us, and I was looking forward to what would've been my first substantive conversation with a boy for nearly three years, since we took one of my daughter's primary school friends on a trip for her 10th birthday. I'd be very wary of being in a private situation with a boy of his age (12) - babysitting, for example - because I couldn't guarantee, even to myself, that I could be 100% trustworthy, but in a public scenario like this afternoon would've been, I genuinely enjoy the company of boys, leaving aside any thoughts of carnality. It's a symptom of my 'boy who never grew up' streak, I guess.
One boy who was there this afternoon was the cutie I mentioned (It's all about context) a few weeks ago. He was playing one of the ugly sisters, which was a definite piece of miscasting(!), and to say he gave a committed performance was a distinct understatement - he really threw himself into it, was very good, and very funny. And did I mention he's seriously cute as well! Apart from my daughter, it wouldn't take Holmesian powers of deduction to work out who I spent most of the performance watching!
There was one other cast member I had more than half an eye on, though, playing a kind of Simon Cowell character. Dark, collar length hair, a sweet face, and another 'all-action' performance. Given my intermittent attendance at these productions, I didn't recognise him, so I asked my daughter when we got back home who he was. Just about keeping a straight face, she told me 'he' was called Abby!! Spoofed by a girl! That'll teach me. Very disappointing, she would've made a super-cute boy!
Thank you very much to Billy for becoming my most recent follower. I'll try and make your welcome interest worthwhile.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment