Wednesday 8 December 2010

Back to nocturnalism

I'm almost halfway through my first week of night shift since I moved to my new job, and I have to say that at least one thing has stayed consistent in comparison to where I was working before - being on nights tends to bring your non-working life to a standstill. By the time I've got to my brother's, where I'm staying again this week, got some sleep, got up and showered, then had something to eat, it's pretty much time to go back to work again. Not the sort of lifestyle to recommend itself to a wild party animal, I would've thought, although never having been a party animal, even in my far-off youth, I'm working on supposition here.
There's only been one incident of any real note so far this week, and that largely took place in my head. I thought I'd upset someone in blogland who I care a great deal about with a comment I'd left on one of his posts. It turned out that I was mistaken, as evidenced by a lovely message I received yesterday which put my mind at rest and made me feel a lot happier with life.
The chance encounter I mentioned in my last post has given me an idea for a new story for 'Cuckoos', which is taking shape slowly, given my relative lack of free time this week. It might even have a happy ending - stranger things have happened!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. hmmm, sounds familiar. I did upset someone while chatting, and on the phone. took a couple days to get it all worked out, but it is now. thank God!

    i worked some overnights (11-7 and 12-8) many years ago, and yes, they screw up your life outside work immensely. sooo glad i'm working 8:00am-4:30pm, M-F with no call-ins or crap like that. don't make sh!t, but it's work it to be able to just come home and be done with it all.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I don't actually mind nights, and shift work in general, too much, but it does rather take over your life at times. I'm with you on steering clear of on-call commitments, though, which I've assiduously avoided over the years - like you say, it's good to walk out of the door and know for sure you won't be back until the next rostered shift.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete