Sunday 5 August 2012

First payday

Reading Jay's latest post this morning reminded me of the first 'job' I ever had, certainly the first time I ever earned any money by my own efforts. It was the school summer holidays, and I was either 8 or 9, I can't remember which. A new block of flats was being built just across from our house, and at the front, by the main road, the construction plans evidently called for a low wall. What purpose it was supposed to serve, I don't know, because it was only about two feet high, running the length of the building midway between the pavement and the structure itself. I can only imagine it was supposed to be decorative, in some shape or form. That week, obviously not having anything better to do, I spent quite a bit of time watching the two bricklayers who were building the wall, and, before long, I was chattering away to them, and fetching and carrying a few small things for them. They even let me have a go at laying a few bricks myself - the wall is still there, forty-odd years on, so my handiwork is still on view, although I wouldn't even be able to find the relevant section myself now - and, on the Friday, when the job was finished, one of the workmen gave me two shillings, or half a crown (we were still using 'old money' then), something like that, as my 'wages' for the week. I was thrilled to bits, needless to say, rushing home to tell my mum all about it. These days, men fraternising with a young boy in such circumstances would no doubt attract, at the very least, parental suspicion, if not worse, but I guess they were, as the saying goes, more innocent times. And I effectively had my pocket money doubled that week, my first introduction to 'capitalism', I suppose.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Another post somewhere inspired my post, thanks for the shout out, and apparently that inspired you.

    Neat story. You are right, though. If a kid tried to help these days, OSHA (or Health and Safety) would swiftly crush that entrepreneurial spirit.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The impetus to write posts can come from many directions, internal and external, and this one almost became a comment on your post, until I realised it had enough substance to be aired in its own right.
      I wasn't thinking of H & S when I said that my bricklaying 'career' would be a non-started nowadays, more about the raging paranoia which appertains whenever a man dares to speak to a boy who isn't a blood relative.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete