Monday 12 November 2012

Chinese Whispers

I had an interesting conversation while I was on my break at work yesterday afternoon. I rang my cousin and best friend, because yesterday was his birthday, and I wanted to pass on my good wishes. He knows, of course, about my divorce and the reasons behind it, and about most of where I am in the aftermath. Others of his branch of the family seem to have acquired a different picture of events, though. He told me that his uncle had asked him what he knew about me walking out on my wife and daughter to go and live with another man. Whaaat?!, as my daughter said when I mentioned it to her later in the evening. A little more background, though, shed some light on where such a tale might have originated. My sister, who I, frankly, loathe and haven't spoken to for several years, had seemingly visited Manchester for a wedding, and had stayed with some of our relatives up there. Who had told her about my marital breakdown I don't know, but it certainly wasn't me, and I'd lay pretty good odds on it not being my ex-wife, either, so it looks as though she's heard something from somewhere, added two and two, come up with a good deal more than four, then decided to spread her version around anyway. That apart, it was good to talk to my cousin again, for half an hour or so, and catch up with our real-life news as well as the product of the rumour mill. It's one of those 'talking a good fight' scenarios, given that it's been proposed several times over recent months, but we've provisionally arranged for me to go to Manchester in the middle of next month and actually get together. I hope the plans finally do come together this time, because although we do speak on the phone semi-regularly, it's more or less exactly three years since I've seen him face-to-face, and a couple of years since I've been to Manchester at all. I wouldn't say I actively miss the place, but it is, just, still the area where I've spent the largest chunk of my adult life - thirteen years, as against twelve for Cornwall - and I did have some good times there.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. I just love the rumour mill! (Just noticed, this computer doesn't like the "rumour" spelling - it's on US English...my laptop is on UK English since I had it with me over there!)

    But I kind of gave up on the mill. If someone wants to know why I did or did not do something, they can ask me, and I'll tell them my version of events. Otherwise, screw 'em all!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'm not stressing in any way about this story 'doing the rounds', I'm just intrigued as to how something that not only hadn't happened, but had no chance of happening, had become somebody's 'truth'. No, as you say, let them think what they want, it's not going to affect my life, given that I never see these people, and don't expect to, either way.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. Hello Sammy. Rumors suck. Anyone can say anything about someone and if the receiving party doesn't check it out...then misinformation gets spread all over, never to be corrected. Often the party being talked about never knows about it, or what has been said.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Scottie
      I'm getting closer, I hope, to the 'I don't care what you think of me, it won't change my life' kind of mindset, but, as I said to Jay, what was interesting and slightly mystifying in this instance was the process by which reality had been twisted into the story which found its way back to me.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete