Wednesday 28 November 2012

Lucky, lucky boy

Here's something that will surprise my regular readers (brave souls as you are!) - a post with some good news in it!
The tale actually began after I finished work yesterday evening. I needed a few grocery items, so I briefly called into a supermarket near the station on the way to catching my train back. I was short of time, and rushing a bit, but I still remembered by 'eco-friendly' credentials, and fished a carrier bag out of my backpack to reuse. I shovelled my purchases into the bag, and made a rapid exit to the station, arriving on the platform with about two minutes to spare. I rang my daughter as the train was running in, as I hadn't had the chance to speak to her earlier in the evening, and spent virtually the whole 30 minute journey chatting to her, only ringing off as the train was arriving at 'domicile-ville' station. I picked up my shopping - and realised my backpack was missing. I'd taken it off of my shoulders to get the carrier bag, put it on the floor by the checkout while I was packing my shopping, and forgotten, in my haste, to pick it up again, and hadn't noticed my mistake until that moment. I was mortified - my nearly-new Kindle was in the bag, grievous enough a loss, but, even more significantly, it contained my medication as well, a situation which had the potential to cause me serious problems. It was too late to ring the supermarket by that time, as they would already have closed, so there was little I could do apart from heading back to my accommodation, castigating myself every step of the way.
I had little expectation, having left my bag in a West London supermarket, that I would ever see it again, but I rang the shop shortly after their advertised opening time this morning. After being bounced through a series of options offered by a 'virtual switchboard', I found myself talking to a voicemail box. Great. I left my message and my contact details, and gave them a couple of hours to respond. When I hadn't heard anything by 10:00, I tried to ring again, ended up at the same voicemail stage, only to hear 'the inbox is full, you are unable to leave a message, goodbye'. End of call. Bloody marvellous! Needless to say, my opinion of the supermarket concerned, and my mood, were pretty low at that stage, but I decided, far more in hope than expectation, to leave for work half an hour earlier than usual and go to the shop, just on the off chance that the bag had been handed in. I walked into the shop, went to the customer service desk, and, after having struggled for a minute or two to explain my problem to an employee whose native language evidently wasn't English, spoke to another, seemingly slightly more senior employee, who said 'Yes, we have the bag'. Five minutes later, I was walking out of the store, reunited with my bag, and with its contents intact. To say I was amazed is an understatement, but I remembered to be grateful - I thanked the supermarket staff profusely - and relieved, too. It's one of the few pieces of good luck I've had in all of this traumatic year, and all the more welcome for that. After all, it gets pretty boring if you lose all the time!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Well good! I honestly think there is a bit of good in this world, and it's certainly refreshing to be on the receiving end of some of it occasionally!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Yes, it certainly cheered me up a bit! Interesting, though (yeah, I know the stats page can be misleading, but still) that this 'good news' post has attracted virtually no interest, present company excepted, whereas some of my 'woe is me' meanderings seem to appeal to people far more. Oh well, that's human nature, I guess!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete