Tuesday 23 June 2015

'Helicopter parenting' gone mad

On my way back from work this afternoon, I was on a single-decker bus, along with maybe ten or a dozen other passengers, the driver, obviously, and a couple of CCTV cameras, which have become something close to ubiquitous on London buses. The bus pulled up at a stop where two intending passengers were waiting. A woman with a small child, the child being about eighteen months old and asleep in a buggy. The driver opened the middle doors of the bus, usually the exit, to allow the woman easier access to the wheelchair area, where buggies are usually accommodated. She, almost frantically, signalled him to open the front doors instead, which he eventually did. I couldn't hear what the driver asked the woman, but it must've been something along the lines of 'What's the problem?'. Her answer was so paranoiac as to be almost laughable. 'I don't want to leave him on his own, I've got to pay', i.e. while she walked four or five paces from the centre of the bus to touch in with her Oyster card, then walk back again. What could she possibly have imagined would happen to the child in those ten seconds, on a half full bus with everything recorded on CCTV? I really feel sorry for that little boy - if that's a representative example of her parenting style, he's going to grow up scared witless of his own shadow, thinking everyone and everything is out to harm him in some way. At least he slept through this whole pathetic little 'drama'.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. ARGH! This belongs in the Free Range Kids site!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      The only trouble is, if I read something like this elsewhere, I wouldn't believe it. I was there, and I still find it hard to believe!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete