Monday 24 August 2015

An open letter

To 'James'
I found your Tumblr last night. Not too many entries, and none for the last three months. I really hope that doesn't mean you've come to any harm, especially self-harm. You describe yourself as 'coming to terms' with your sexuality. I hope you don't take as long as I have to do that. They, the world, want you to hurt, every day, it's all that they think you deserve, even though you haven't chosen your attractions. You can be celibate your whole life, never hurt anyone, or have any intention of doing so, and they'll still hate you for what's in your head. Don't fall for the hype. Don't, ever, hate yourself for who you are. It's difficult, so difficult - I certainly can't do it all day, every day, but I do try. Really try. What you do is your responsibility, your choice, but who you are is immutable, and sexual orientation is a big part of that 'who', for everyone. The 'best' the world will concede is that minor attraction is an illness. Most will just consider you to be wilfully, irremediably evil. I have little doubt that you're not ill and not evil. Just, like me, someone who feels attractions this society finds unconscionable. And has to live their life against the backdrop of their implacable hatred. I hope, so much, that you find a way to live your life safely and happily.

Love & best wishes
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Please email me this URL (you know my addy). You know I empathize.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Done.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete