Wednesday 5 August 2015

Why? Why me?

I may have written before about an incident that happened at school when I was 13 - I've certainly used a fictionalised version in at least one story in Nephelokokkygia - where I was sitting in a cubicle in the school toilets literally shaking with fear about the possibility of my classmates, and worse still my friends amongst them, finding out I was attracted to boys, about how they might react. That terror-stricken young boy resurfaced at around 6:00 this morning. At work. In the face of a conversation between my colleagues - everyone there, in fact, apart from me - about the allegations of 'historic sex offences' against (the conveniently dead) ex-prime minister Edward Heath that have been reported over the past couple of days. The contempt, the hatred dripping from every word they spoke sent me into something akin to a panic attack, made all the worse by the fact that I not only had to keep it all inside, but had to keep doing a job that was becoming very difficult, just at that moment, because of some faulty equipment. The scared little boy of 40-odd years ago was right there again, close to tears at the knowledge that all that contempt and hatred was about me, or, at least, about the sort of person I am. About something I can't help, something I would never have chosen, in a million years. I could be a self-confessed axe murderer and attract less opproprium. Why couldn't I have been 'normal', part of them and their world? Why did it have to be boys?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I wish there were an answer to that. At least you have the knowledge that you've never molested a boy, because there is a huge difference between loving a boy and forcing sex upon them.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      'Thoughtcrime' might not be enshrined in the legal code - yet - but in 'their' world, who you are and what you do are undifferentiated. You're as hateful for your desires as your actions. The slightest hint of the 'real me' would be enough for me to be ostracised, or worse. I don't know how much longer I can carry on in such circumstances, or if I even want to.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete