Monday 21 September 2015

Depressingly predictable

I've just seen a trailer for a new BBC adaptation of a book I've been very fond of over the years - I actually owned a limited edition illustrated version, one of the myriad things that were left behind in Cornwall - and it was immediately obvious that major changes have been made from the original. Mostly in that all of the main characters, from what I saw, are much older in this new take on the story than they were in the book. Why? Well, who knows, but I very strongly suspect it's because there are implicit references to 'underage sex' in what is an autobiography rather than a novel, and the BBC, in the wake of the Savile affair and the current climate around this subject, have simply been too craven to be faithful to the author's remembrances. I won't be watching the programme. The book? Cider with Rosie.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment