Saturday 5 September 2015

Even those on your side....

....don't understand. My brother and sister-in-law, along with my niece and her fiancé, came up to town today, and, on the whole, we had a pretty good day. We did Borough Market, the Natural History Museum, a latish lunch and then Harrods. All very congenial. At one point, though, my brother mentioned something related to 'my stuff', how my sister-in-law had stumbled across a news story about a former neighbour of theirs who'd been convicted of a 'historic sexual offence' and been given (in my opinion, at least) a ridiculously disproportionate sentence. I don't understand, my brother said, we knew him, I can't believe it. Of course you don't understand was my reply, unless you've actually been in the situation of being attracted to someone the law says is untouchable, how could you possibly understand? When your allies don't 'get it', what earthly chance do you have against your enemies?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I was trying to think of a suitably Orwelian response, but unfortunately speaking as someone, "lost in a monstrous world", I am percieved as the "monster". Of course we're not monsters. We are no different to anyone else. That's why people can't understand it. In these days, where the public's thought processes are being continuously manipulated and erroded by the tabloid media, day by day, it is becoming harder to find anyone who is even interested in an explanation, let alone be prepared to enter into a meaningful conversation. They don't know, because they don't want to know.

    We are indeed lonely ghosts, uttering a truth that nobody wants to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      How about the Orwellian image of the 'Two Minutes Hate', where the 'herd mentality' is manipulated to anathematise a politically convenient target. How long before the government, and their cheerleaders in the right-wing tabloid press, announce a 'War on Paedos'? In that kind of atmosphere, any objective reality about who is acceptable and who is a 'monster', who is on the 'right' side of that totally arbitrary fence, is irrelevant. And, as you suggest, any chance of the least consensus is gone, because you can't hold a discussion with those who refuse to listen.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete