Tuesday 17 November 2015

The best value for money book I've ever bought

I'm currently re-reading the book that for me, pound for pound, represents the best value for money bibliographic purchase I've ever made. The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Words. At a list price, according to the back cover, of £3.95 when I bought it, twenty-odd, nearly thirty years ago, although I'm pretty sure I paid less for it than that, possibly £2.99, if memory serves. Why do I value it so highly? Well, apart from the fact that it's simply fun to discover what words like 'glockamoid' and 'mesopygion' mean, the illustrative quotations that accompany most of the entries have pointed me in the direction of so many interesting books, and, indeed, authors I would probably never otherwise have heard of. A quick online search reveals that a second hand copy can be bought for as little as one penny (plus the ubiquitous postage and packaging, of course!). I'd recommend it to anyone.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment