Thursday 10 December 2015

Sweet and sour and sweet

A mixed day, as the title might suggest. The first drop of sweetness tipped over into surfeit - a school on one of my meanders, around lunchtime, was obviously having a half day, because what appeared to be the full complement of pupils were heading for home. Including a very cute boy who got on the bus I was on, who, while he was lovely to look at, started the downswing by getting me thinking about my life as exitless maze, a trough that deepened still further less than ten minutes later when, after having changed buses, I saw an even cuter and even more inaccessible boy from the same school. Inward groaning barely begins to tell the story.
So it was that I arrived at my destination in a less than happy frame of mind, which deteriorated still further when I happened to catch sight of a report on the BBC News Channel. The reporter had been 'embedded' with a police unit en route to an early morning 'child protection' raid, with a nauseatingly smug looking plod saying how 'they knew' the suspect had been 'grooming a child online'. Given the breadth of the definitions of both 'child' and that loathsome word 'grooming' these days, i.e. any contact with any unrelated young person under the age of about 25, and given the propensity of the police to engage in entrapment, I'm afraid my cynicism knows few bounds.
But neither does my disheartenment, either, so I really was pretty low when I went to the rendezvous that was the reason for my being in the area in the first place. But that meeting was when things started looking up again, because I was there to meet K, with a view to buying her Christmas present, a coat she'd seen when she was there with her boyfriend a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, they didn't have what they wanted in her size today, but her company, and the very nice meal we had in a tapas bar near the main shopping street, broke my downbeat mood thoroughly. I probably don't deserve her, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment