Sunday 15 July 2012

Head, heart, then reality intervenes

I was going to write a post about the head knowing something is lost, but the heart not wanting to let go, but some news I received earlier today has rather overtaken the previous train of thought, underlining the inconstancy of life, as I'm experiencing it at the moment.
I'll still give a potted version of what started the original strand yesterday. I was on my way to work, for the second of two twelve hour night shifts that have taken up much of this weekend, when, outside my local station, I came upon what I presume was a family group, mother, father, two elderly people, both in wheelchairs - and a boy, a young man, really, around 16 or 17, or maybe even 18. Who looked so much like a 'grown-up' version of DBJ, albeit a rather more heavily-built one, that I could hardly believe it. Unsurprisingly, I wasn't a happy bunny, to be reminded of that beautiful boy, who not only would, could, never be mine, but who I'll almost certainly never see again. It's so hard, though, when you've been so besotted with someone for such a long time, four years and more, to accept that every vestige of hope is gone. It is, though, and I'll just have to live with that realisation.
But then the unadorned version of reality asserted itself, with real life consequences for people who I have a genuine connection with and concern for. In some ways, it could be said to be, if not trivial, then at least in the 'small earthquake' category, but connections, and the length of time they've been in place, come into play once more. Our cat, who had deigned to allow us to live with her for the last eight years, was hit by a car and killed, yesterday lunchtime. My wife and daughter, understandably, are heartbroken, and even I, who never really got that attached to her, am rather shaken up by what's happened. Yet another piece of my life, our life, that has been taken away, another hurt. Another nail in the coffin.

Love & best wishes to all (and R.I.P., Tia)
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Sammy. I am sure your wife and daughter are very heartbroken. It always hurts when you lose a pet (or a master in this case).

    I'm so sorry, no one needs more sorrow to pile on all the rest.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Sad, indeed - I shed a few tears myself after writing this post last night, not so much for the cat per se, but for everything that's been lost in the past few months. It does make you wonder when, or even whether, the hurt is going to come to an end.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry to hear about the cat, and other unpleasantries.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      I'm sorry, but a couple of your recent comments had ended up in the spam file, for reasons I can't explain, and I hadn't noticed them until earlier today.
      Thank you for your concern and commiserations - it's all still rather grim, but I'm doing my best to come to some sort of terms with it.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete