Thursday 19 July 2012

Stick or twist?

Given that it doesn't look as though there's any immediate prospect of my moving back to Cornwall, I've been considering my options as far as accommodation is concerned. Where I am now is small, but clean and fairly comfortable, all inclusive in payment terms, in that utilities and the like are covered by my rent, and I'm lucky enough to benefit from the sterling efforts of the housekeeper to look after certain things I would otherwise have to do for myself - I got back from work this evening to find my bed made up with fresh bedding, and a set of clean towels left for me (albeit I use my own towels most of the time). On the downside, though, I'm spending the best part of two hours a day travelling to and from work, and I'm returning to a town I have not the slightest affinity for, and where I know no-one.
So I've been looking at what might be available 'in town'. London is, of course, one of the more expensive places in the world to live, but it isn't wall-to-wall unaffordable, even in reasonable areas. Perusing the net earlier, I saw a few places I'd quite happily live in terms of location, at prices I could manage, including one (although it was pretty much at the absolute top end of my potential budget) less than ten minutes walk from work. Probably the most tempting, though, was a bedsit in a large block of flats a mere couple of hundred yards from where I lived when I worked in London in the 1980s, a block which I've looked at on several occasions and thought would be an ideal place to settle. The perennial dilemma - stay in the less than optimum, but safe, place, or take a chance on the unknown. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

****

A little edit - I've just realised that the 'ideal' block of flats near where I used to live was the location I had in mind for the central character's residence in Londoner. Fancy living in the same block as a....well, you'll have to read the story if you want to know who my fictional 'neighbour' might have been!

****

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment