Wednesday 29 January 2014

Bye bye, rat poison! And an 'oops!' moment

I've recently arrived back in 'domicile-ville' after my cardiology appointment at the hospital, and, for once, I'm not gnashing my teeth in frustration. Because I've finally managed to get a health professional, and a cardiology consultant, at that, to agree with what I've asserted for months, namely that I don't need to be on Warfarin. So, as of now, I'm not! To say I'm pleased is a serious understatement. My heart meds are being tweaked again, though, and I will need to go back to the hospital at least once more, for a blood test to see how my system is reacting to an increased dose of one particular pill, which has a rather small margin between a therapeutic dose and a potentially poisonous one. It is the medication that, at least in my perception, has been the most beneficial, so it's a price I'm not too concerned about.
Yesterday's trip westwards went well enough - I met up with K, fielded the paperwork I needed to at least apply for her travel concessions to be extended, we had a meal, and generally caught up, given that it was the first time I've seen her this year. I even had time to scoot over into Cornwall to have my hair cut at my former regular barber's in the market town closest to where we lived when we first moved down there, although seeing the place as a former stamping ground was rather a bittersweet experience. Once I got back to Plymouth and met up with K after she finished school, I must've been a bit too relaxed - as we were walking through the city centre on the way to do some shopping, we passed a group of four boys, all around 14, evidently on their way back from school. One in particular was seriously cute, and K was well aware that he'd caught my eye. As we passed them, just as a throwaway, and only for K's attention, I stage whispered 'Come to bed!'. The boy must've heard me, though, because he looked back. Hence the 'oops'! As K said, though, it's not all that likely I'll see him again, so the potential for embarrassment, on either side, is hopefully small. Memo to self - turn down the volume of your stage whispers!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Oh good grief, if I had a dollar for every time I've "voiced the thought" too loudly, I'd be a rich man, and probably have fewer lumps on my head! Here's a prime example: http://jayinva.blogspot.com/2010/10/feminine.html.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, glad you're off the Warfarin. That means there's more available to feed the f'ing squirrels in my walls!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I normally manage to keep my thoughts as just that, thoughts, but, like I said, the fact that I was with K and having some quality time made me a bit less - reserved, shall we say - than usual! He was cute, though!
      Losing the Warfarin is a major bonus for me - I thought the cardiologist would try to take the 'safe' way, as had the thoracic consultant, and give me the spiel about 'worst case scenarios', but, after a brief discussion about pros and cons, and risk aversion, he conceded that with my current health in general, and my particular risk factors, that there was only a marginal benefit to carrying on with the rat poison, and that he 'wouldn't give me a hard time if I decided to stop taking it'. My decision, needless to say, was made in milliseconds. You squirrels are welcome to the vile muck!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. 'Your squirrels', of course - I wouldn't want you to think I'm accusing you of being one of their number!

      Delete