Thursday 16 January 2014

Not overly impressed

I'm off to view another flat in the morning, but the palaver leading to that appointment being made hasn't exactly filled me with confidence in the estate agent's talents. I called into their office on Monday, to find that he (allegedly) hadn't been able to contact the landlord of the place I saw last week, so that prospect of a place for K and I to live had made no progress at all. While I was there, I suggested that he took my e-mail address, to give him another means of contact, and he duly gave me a piece of paper to write it down. Less than an hour later, he texted me asking for the address again, suggesting that he'd lost the paper in the intervening period. When I got back to base on Monday evening, I found no less than three e-mails from the agency, but apart from the place I'm going to tomorrow, all the places he suggested as 'suitable' we're either too expensive, in the wrong area, or, most annoyingly, unfurnished - I'd told him three times, at least, that I needed a furnished place, because I don't own any furniture! In the light of that experience, I suppose this morning's pantomime shouldn't have been a surprise - he texted me saying he'd arranged a viewing for midday tomorrow, but, because he'd sent it from a landline number, I couldn't reply to it, then he rang me, presumably because I hadn't responded to the text, but I couldn't take the call because I was working, before I finally found a minute to text him on his mobile number, to say the appointment time was fine. At which point he texted again, quoting a different appointment time. After another half a dozen texts, I finally managed to pin him down to a viewing at 11:00 in the morning - I almost had a headache by that stage! I could, of course, tell him to stick his agency where the sun doesn't shine, but, unfortunately, it's right in the middle of the area that K and I have decided best suits our requirements, and they're also the sole agents for the flat that we both liked the most - namely the one I viewed last week - when we were househunting online at Christmas. Anyway, all the frustrations of the process to date notwithstanding, I'm off to North London in the morning. I just hope it's not a wild goose chase.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I HATE house shopping! To let or to buy. What a pain. In 2002, when I was looking to buy this house, it was a month-long sojourn through slums, ghettos, estates I could never afford, or just plain awful places that I wouldn't want my worst enemy living in. This place was a godsend. Not perfect, but far better than anything else, and affordable! Good luck in the hunt. I know time is getting short!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'm trying to look upon the property hunting business as a 'short term pain for long term gain' kind of enterprise, but, after yesterday, it's not easy! At least I have got a few weeks, if not a couple of months, to get things finalised. Hopefully it'll come together sooner rather than later.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete