Saturday 2 April 2016

Stress?

I've noticed an unusual tendency in myself over the past couple of days - I seem to have developed an irresistible urge to grit my teeth, to the extent that it's making my jaws ache. The stresses and frustrations of my life, as documented at great length herein, are what they are, and haven't changed in any material way, so why I should suddenly have begun to express my tension in such a way is a complete mystery. Mind over matter, without a doubt.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sammy

    I've yet to experience the teeth gritting compulsion, but I do have a number of other tension relievers: Such as digging the nails of my index fingers into the skin inside my thumbs. It makes a mess of my thumb ends. I'm also a habitual nail-biter. I often wonder is it's a minor form of self-harming.

    The other thing I obsess about is hair growing out of my ears and nose. Why can't it grow out of my scalp, like it's supposed to ?

    Warmest regards - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave
      Yeah, I'm a nail-biter too, have been since I was about 7 years old. Now that I've become aware of the gritting of teeth, though, I'm doing my best to wean myself away from it. There's a line in Ada by Nabokov (my all-time favourite book) which suggests that your own mind is the most horrific torture chamber anyone could face. Difficult to argue against, as far as I'm concerned.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete