Friday 1 April 2016

I can't remember

I've been trying for an hour or more to work out when my last complete day off, before today, was. I had a 'paper' day off last week, when I finished nights on Tuesday morning and was then back on earlies exactly 24 hours later, but, as far as I can recall without the kitchen calendar in front of me (the only place my shifts are recorded, for K's benefit, so she knows what I'm up to), my last day like today, when I won't be in work for any part of the day, was three and a half weeks ago. And I'm in the bottom half of the 'league table' for amount of overtime worked at our place. It's madness, quite frankly, the 'hamster wheel' ruling everything. Still, two weeks on Monday, I'll begin a run of 13 days off, my first annual leave of the year. To say the break will be welcome is the understatement of the day.

1920 edit: Just had a recount, my last complete day off was actually three weeks ago today, when K and I went to see The Jesus and Mary Chain. The few days' discrepancy doesn't mitigate the 'living to work' rather than 'working to live' impression, though.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sammy

    There's an old saying: "You can never do enough for a good boss". In my experience, the more you do, the more they expect. And nowadays, the threat of being out of work is a bosses biggest stick with which to wave at his workers. They are very quick to say: "If you don't like it, you know where the door is." And: "If you don't want to do it, there's plenty of people out there, who will."

    As with so many things these days, a climate of fear is a very effective weapon against those you wish to control.

    Warmest regards - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dave
    I'm in the fortunate position that if an exchange between my boss and I ended in his coming out with the 'if you don't like it' comment, my calling his bluff and taking early retirement would cause him more problems than it would cause me (although K's uni plans would be shaken up to some tune), but I'm well aware that I'm in a minority in being able to say that. But the 'controlling by fear' meme affects me, as it does you, in much more insidious ways.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete