Saturday 1 May 2010

Off to Cloud Cuckoo Land

I said when I began this blog that I wanted to intersperse my musings about life with something more ' creative '. So far, that has more or less failed to take place, so I've decided to start a stand-alone blog for the products of my imagination, on the basis that if there's a receptacle, I might be inspired to put something in it. I'm not promising quantity, and I'm certainly not promising quality, but I'll do my best to make it as good as I can.
The new blog is called ' Sammy B's Nephelokokkygia ' and will hopefully have some content before too long.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    Thanks for the announcement. I hope you won't mind if I don't follow it directly - I'm afraid my blog list is becoming somewhat unwieldy. However, I will be keeping an eye out for posts via your blog list.

    One question: "nephelokokkygia" is an interesting word - what does it mean? It looks Greek to me.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    You're absolutely right - it is a Greek word. It comes from ' The Birds ' by Aristophenes and means ' Cloud Cuckoo Land ', and I believe it was the first appearance of the phrase in literature. Before you (or indeed anyone else) get the idea that I'm any kind of classical scholar, I only knew of the origin of the phrase through my general knowledge, not through reading the play itself!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aristophanes, even. My claims to any kind of scholarship recede by the moment!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete