Monday 29 October 2012

A long day, and a new toy

I've been on a long day trip to Cornwall today, leaving 'domicile-ville' before 8:00 this morning, and not arriving back until almost 6:00, simply to get hold of a prescription for my medication, given that I haven't got around to registering with a GP in Surrey yet. If I needed any further incentive, today's ten hour round trip has probably done the trick - it wasn't much fun at all. One of the few saving graces was a couple of Cornish cuties, including one utterly stunning 12/13 year old boy on the bus back to the mainline station for my return journey. If he'd had slightly darker hair, he could have been the 'model' for my mental picture of Cammy in Optimal and Diary. Breathtaking, literally, as he glanced at me as I was getting ready to get off the bus, no doubt having noticed that I was taking more than a passing interest in him on the journey.
The other item which rescued my trip today from being completely insufferable was my new toy. I haven't bought myself any 'new technology' for ages, apart from upgrading my phone a year or so ago, but that was pretty urgent, as the old one had started to crash randomly, and eventually died altogether, but I couldn't resist on this occasion, especially after I picked up a couple of hundred pounds more in my most recent pay packet last Friday than I was expecting. I went out yesterday and treated myself to a Kindle Fire HD, a sort of early Christmas present to myself, I suppose, and it's a pretty impressive piece of kit. The only downside is that it can only be connected to the net through WiFi, and while its performance when it is connected is most impressive, that's of no relevance when you haven't got access to WiFi, as is the case here at my accommodation. Still, I've no doubt it will be well used when I'm out and about - I've already got an account to use the free WiFi in Wetherspoons pubs, the deluge of junk e-mails I'll probably receive from them being a small price to pay for not ruining my eyesight still further by trying to read web content on the relatively tiny screen of my phone!
And my girl arrives in London in around 15 hours time. I can't wait!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's cool, Sammy! I've been tossing around the idea of a Kindle Fire HD...or perhaps a Galaxy Nexus 7...what to do, what to do...

    And if your accommodation doesn't have Wi-Fi, but does have Ethernet ports, you could likely purchase a small Wi-Fi router for not much money, plug it in and use that for both the laptop and the Fire.

    Have fun with your daughter!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Ethernet ports? This is a basic 1970's building that was once part of an orphanage! Seriously, though, the lack of WiFi really isn't that much of an issue - I've got my wireless broadband gadget, which is more than ample for my laptop usage, and my phone with its 'all you can eat' data package as well, so I'm never going to be deprived of the internet in any foreseeable circumstances. The Kindle Fire is a nice thing to have in itself, even if it is a bit of an extravagance, so I'm certainly not complaining.
      The first half day of my daughter's visit has been fun, even though I 'lost' her for a few hours this afternoon as she met up with one of her London-based cyberfriends. It's just nice to see her and to be able to enjoy her company.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete