Tuesday 19 October 2010

And it all started so well

Today was definitely 'a game of two halves'. This morning looked quite promising, up at a reasonable time, seeing off my wife and daughter for work and school respectively, steadily getting ready for a fairly punctual departure for my journey for the forthcoming working week, and even, for the most part, benign traffic conditions en route, allowing me to make good time. Then, 40 minutes or so into the afternoon, it all started to fall apart. I was less than half an hour's drive from work when I heard an ominous noise from the front of the car - I'd acquired a flat tyre. At 70 mph on a three-lane dual carriageway. Luckily, the road wasn't too busy, and I was in the inside lane, so I managed to steer onto the hard shoulder and stop safely, if a little shudderingly. Having had the dubious privilege of changing a wheel before on the hard shoulder of a fast road, and finding it one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, I let discretion be the better part of valour on this occasion and called the AA to do it for me - after all, we pay them a handsome membership fee every year, so it's good to let them earn it occasionally. The only problem was waiting three-quarters of an hour for the patrolman to arrive and do the job, which made me late for work. Not, however. as late as I thought I was, because for some reason which completely escapes me, my manager has decided to make the training late shift later than it had been two weeks ago. That, in turn, meant that I was later in leaving work this evening, and later in arriving at my brother's, which meant he had to wait up to let me in, as I didn't have a doorkey. It left me feeling like I was being a burden to him, although he kindly denied any such thought. At least I've got a key now, so if I get delayed tomorrow I can let myself in. Hospitality is one thing, having to turn your lifestyle upside down is quite another. The only thing in my favour is that he knows I would do the same for him (and have done, albeit quite some time in the past) if the positions were reversed.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. OMG... yeah, that kind of thing makes me cringe... I've never been able to accept the help of others easily, like some- even worse, when the perception is that you put someone out, even if it is your brother... Well, maybe you can make it up to him with a nice dinner out, or, a kind gesture in return... And, since you have been there for him in the past, well, one hand washes the other, eh?? lol luv, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tony
    I've always been an independent and self-contained character, even from childhood, so it is hard sometimes, as you say, to accept what feels a bit like charity, but I try to keep reminding myself to take it in the spirit it's offered and be grateful, which, assuredly, I am.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete